Bulletin Board > Volunteers|
Posted: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 at 20:32 PST
Last Modified: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 at 20:32 PST
FRIENDS OF THE PALO ALTO LIBRARY (Palo Alto)
LOVE BOOKS? LOVE LIBRARIES?
JOIN OUR TEAM OF ENTHUSIASTIC VOLUNTEERS!
Won't you consider contributing a few hours a week to help keep our five Palo Alto libraries up-to-date and thriving? Friends of the Palo Alto Library’s monthly sales of donated books and media raise much-needed funds to purchase new books, furniture, technology, and special programs. To make these sales happen takes the efforts of many individuals just like you!
Below is a sample of the many jobs volunteers perform at FOPAL, and their special benefits. The greatest benefit of all, of course, is the immense satisfaction you will feel from giving back to your community! Choose an activity to suit your time, talents, and interests.
1) Pick up donations and move boxes of books among our three locations at Cubberley Community Center (meet friendly donors; free body-building exercise)
2) Sort new donations into subject categories (meet friendly fellow sorters; enjoy a first look at an amazing assortment of books)
3) Manage specific subject areas, organizing and pricing books for our monthly sales (share and expand your interests and knowledge)
4) Help staff our monthly Book Sales, held on the 2nd weekend of every month - we need cashiers, floor supervisors, and donation monitors (meet hundreds of fellow bookaholics, and experience the Thrill of the Marketplace!)
5) Love Children’s Literature? Sort and price children’s book donations (a friendly group of volunteers meet in the Children’s Room each Tuesday afternoon, or work on your own schedule) See recent feature story in the Palo Alto Weekly: Web link
6) Work with our online sales team: research higher value books, list books online, fulfill/ship orders (exercise your mental muscles; join the world of e-commerce)
7) Work on our website, newsletters, and other publicity/outreach projects (exercise your urge to research, write, and communicate with your community)
8) Assist our Sales and Volunteer Manager with various administrative/publicity projects (exercise your creative and organizational talents)
9) Stock and staff our library branch bookshops at Downtown and Mitchell Park libraries (an important part of our sales effort; meet new people in our community)
10) And many more jobs to suit your time, inclinations, and expertise (your unique talents will be welcomed and your contribution greatly appreciated!)
Students needing to fulfill community service hours requirements for school are welcome to join us.
CORPORATE GROUPS/SERVICE ORGANIZATIONS
Corporate groups or service organizations looking for one-time, or regularly scheduled, work projects can help us as well.
NEW VOLUNTEER ORIENTATION SESSIONS
Come see what FOPAL is all about. We hold orientation sessions for new volunteers, or for those considering volunteering, every second and fourth Thursday at 3:30 pm at our Main Sales Room, or by special appointment.
CONTACT US TODAY!
To learn more about how you can get involved with Friends of the Palo Alto Library, please call or email Janette Herceg, FOPAL Sales and Volunteer Manager at (650) 494-1266 or email@example.com.
See our website at: www.fopal.org
WE LOOK FORWARD TO MEETING YOU!